Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Reading Options

1. Aesop's Fables: Another Lion (part of Aesop (English))
I've always liked fables. I enjoyed how there would be a moral at the end of the story and it would be illustrated in such a simple manner. They're fairly straightforward and usually not bad at the advice! With this specific fable, I did have some trouble with the language. The English was a bit hard to understand, but I got the gist. It was interesting, and the randomly capitalized words intrigued me. It may have been for no reason, but I still noticed it. It's quite entertaining to picture the lion's story taking place, and of course, the moral was to listen to your parents. (This is a story my dad would love to hear). I think I would like some sort of moral or something to learn from my stories.

2. Canterbury Tales: The Unknown Bride
When I was in high school, my literature professor had us read several stories from the Canterbury Tales, so I clicked on this as soon as I saw it. I hadn't read this specific work before, but I did enjoy it. I liked that my feelings toward the knight changed as I read on. Initially, I felt bad for him because he had this rope around his neck. Then, I felt angry with him because he was being rude to his wife. Finally, I felt happy that they got their happy ending. I like stories that pull me in and make me feel what the characters are feeling. However I write, I hope that it's filled with emotion.

3. Illiad: How the War with Troy Began
The Illiad was yet another book I had to read in high school. Originally, I was intimidated by the length and language of the novel, but I grew to like it. This version was admittedly a lot easier to read. I think one of the most challenging things about it is the abundance of characters. There are so many people and relationships to remember. While it was a great work, I do think it complicated the story. Obviously, I would like to keep my stories shorter than several hundred pages, but I would also like them to have fewer characters, so the reader knows exactly who everyone is and how they relate to the story.
Arguably the most famous horse in mythology. (Image: Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment