Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Reading Notes: Ballads of Robin Hood, Part A




For this week, I'm reading about Robin Hood! Like a lot of others, I'm sure, I first heard about Robin Hood when I was maybe 5 years old. I was always torn on him stealing from the rich even though he was giving to the poor, because it was technically still stealing, right? While reading, I couldn't help but hear the words being read aloud in a Scottish accent. The name "Little John" for such a large fellow reminded me a little of Lenny Small in Of Mice and Men. I noticed the author used the word "bold" frequently before Robin Hood's name. He seems much more sly in this version that the fairy tale we're all so used to hearing. I was surprised to see the Robin Hood actually fought the pedlar to the point of "blood in streams did flow." At least he seems to become friends with everyone eventually. It's definitely interesting, even if it's slightly hard to understand completely.

With all that red, some might say he resembles another jolly man who also has an affinity for red and gifts.
Image: Look and Learn History Picture Library

No comments:

Post a Comment