Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part A

For this week, I decided to read Beowulf. I remembered some of my high schools read a version of this poem, so it caught my eye. I liked all the descriptive imagery on the first page alone like their eyes burning blue like the sea and their helmets being decorated with black ravens' wings. I found myself feeling sorry for Beowulf early on. He was strong, but he was lonely. The imagery in the Wanderer's song was amazing. The "limitless gray sea" and the "green-white icebergs floating treacherously" added a lot to a song, something that isn't seen to begin with, let alone in a story. I['m excited about the second part, to see if Beowulf successfully defeats the monster or not.
The great confidence of the king and queen in Beowulf. Image: Google Books: The Story of Beowulf 

No comments:

Post a Comment