Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Reading Notes: Native American Marriage Tales, Part A

For this week's reading, I read Native American Marriage Tales, starting with The Piqued Buffalo-Wife. I thought it was interesting that the boy had to pick his own father as opposed to the father coming forward and claiming him. How did he know who his father was? I did like that the father had to identify his son in the end, even if some cheating was involved. I would like for there to have been a stronger bond between them. I liked The Woman Stolen by Killer Whales, but I felt like it was too short. I would make it longer if I picked this for my story. The Bear-Woman was also interesting. I didn't like the sister turning into a bear, though, since it meant her killing all those people. I also didn't understand why she continued to play with her little sister like nothing had happened.. I did like the ending where the siblings became stars in the sky, making the Big Dipper and the Bear.
Ursa Major and the Bear- the siblings' final resting place. Image: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment