Monday, April 9, 2018

Reading Notes: Native American Marriage Tales, Part B

I continued the second half of Native American Marriage Tales.
I liked the mysterious allure of the women on the rock, but I was a little surprised to see no one had any problems with him killing his "brothers-in-law" for food. Then, as I kept reading, I realized that was simply me making judgments too quickly.. It's an interesting concept, living by killing each other. I wonder why no one could touch him for 8 days, and how the deer knew about this rule. I would have liked a little more backstory there. I was also surprised that his former wife married and apparently had no problem with her man going and marrying another woman without her knowledge. I liked that this story laid the foundation for the high regard the Native Americans had for the deer. I liked the story, especially the fact that no one died, like in my last story.. The True Bride was funny. I liked that the stepsister spat out toenails instead of gold. What a contrast! I also hoped that the husband would have known his wife a little better to know that she didn't want her stepmother at the birth of their child. I wish they could have developed her personality a little more so the reader would feel more compassion when she was thrown into the lake. I liked that the four brothers came to her rescue, once again. I was surprised that the stepmother didn't take the babies, but left him under the house where the hole was. I liked the contrast between the "lazy" apple-tree, horse, and spring and the hard-working dog who ran miles and miles to help his foster-children. Also, I'm always happy when the couple ends up together and it's a happily-ever-after for everyone. Overall, I really liked this unit. I'm a sucker for romance, and most stories delivered! I liked the twists and conflicts, and everything usually tied together in the end.
Horse & Dog Painting
The laziest and the hard-worker. Image: Public Domain Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment